OSS provides comprehensive industrial hygiene consulting services with an emphasis in exposure assessment and risk characterization. Our services are designed to perform the fundamental aspects of industrial hygiene through the anticipation, recognition, evaluation, and control of occupational health hazards in the workplace and community. The experience of our staff enables OSS to ensure that hazardous health exposures are correctly identified and solutions are delivered within management-driven timeframes and budgets.
Overview of Industrial Hygiene Services
- Development of exposure and risk assessment strategies: Process and work activity evaluations, product toxicity characterization, investigation into frequency and duration of exposures, work schedules, and general and local exhaust ventilation dynamics
- Regulatory compliance monitoring and exposure assessments for chemical, physical, and biological hazards
- Industrial hygiene and safety audits to evaluate worksite health and safety practices including evaluation and recommendation of workplace controls
- Health and safety plan (HASP) development and site monitoring for the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA) and Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA)
- OSHA, private-party, and litigant dispute resolution for industrial, public, and institutional settings for chemical and microbiological exposures
- Analytical chemistry experience including laboratory management, quality assurance, and validation of chemical and biological data
- Development and oversight of corporate industrial hygiene and occupational health and safety programs including confined space entry, respiratory protection, hazard communication, and hearing conservation programs
- Monitoring for ultra fine particle (UFP) and nanoparticle exposure assessment and hazard determination in nanotechnology and other manufacturing operations
Aspects of Industrial Hygiene Services
- Mineral fibers and dusts: asbestos, silica, mixed dust, etc.
- Ultra fine particles (UFP), nanoparticles: manufacturing processes
- Organic dusts: wood, grain, etc.
- Solvents: chlorinated, mineral spirits/Stoddard, BTEX (benzene, toluene, ethyl benzene, and xylene), etc.
- Gases and vapors: chlorine, ammonia, flammables, carbon monoxide, etc.
- Welding fumes: metal fume fever, manganese, iron, etc.
- Diesel exhaust, coal tar, PAHs (polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons)
- Metals: light, base, heavy, and precious
- Petrochemicals: oils, gasoline, diesel, BTEX
- Paints and coatings: solvents, lead, powder coats, adhesives, urethanes, epoxies
- PCBs (polychlorinated biphenyls)/PCDDs (polychlorinated dibenzo-p-dioxins)/PCDFs (polychlorinated dibenzofurans), etc.
- Caustics and acids: chromic acid, hydrogen fluoride, etc.
- Composites: fiberglass, styrene, resins, fiber-reinforced prepregs
- Biological agents: fungi, bacteria, and metabolites
- Formaldehyde glues and pressed wood materials
- Metalworking/cutting fluids (Mycobacterium avium)
- Vibration monitoring
- Noise: dosimetry, octave band analysis, modeling/contouring
- Heat/cold stress: equipment, environmental, and physical activity
- Radon: quantization, source identification, and remediation